Africa Born has handpicked a small and very exclusive selection of bush camps and lodges throughout subsaharan Africa that are renowned both for their spectacular locations and their high degree of personal luxury. While staying in these properties, we guarantee that you will want for absolutely nothing.
Most guests come to Africa to commune with nature: with the awe-inspiring elephants and rhinos that roam the great plains, the fearsome lions and leopards, the primeval savannas where man first walked the Earth. The surest and safest way to see these sights is on a game drive in a modern safari vehicle. However, there are a number of other activities and pastimes that make up a classic Ker & Downey safari – and many of these offer diverse new perspectives on the wild.
Camping on private ranches and community trust lands offers a rare opportunity to immerse yourself in the world of our ancestors, tracking large mammals on foot or riding a horse among thousand-strong herds of game. K&D also has close ties with several specialised camel operators, who offer uniquely elemental encounters with Africa’s northern deserts – with optional nights sleeping under the stars.
Our links with the best air charter and helicopter companies allow us to incorporate any number of active – or relaxing – activities in a safari itinerary. Among the many options available are:
- Immersive cultural tours with Samburu and Maasai guides
- Fly fishing for trout in Kenya’s highland rivers and streams
- Tag-and-release fishing for marlin, sailfish and swordfish
- Helicopter safaris to remote lakes, mountains, fossil sites
- Night game drives in search of rare nocturnal creatures
- Joining wildlife researchers in vital conservation studies
- High-altitude hiking on Mounts Kenya and Kilimanjaro
- Hang-gliding, paragliding or gliding in the Great Rift Valley
- Early morning hot air balloon rides over the Maasai Mara
- Adventurous walking safaris and fly-camping in deep bush